[pmwiki-users] How do I only let authorized users edit pages?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 16:21:26 CDT 2005

--- "John M. Gabriele" <john_sips_tea at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've just installed pmwiki and am very impressed. This
> is a great project. :)
>
> I've started editing my pages, but want to set up my wiki
> so:
>
> Only folks who "register" (not sure what that entails though)
> can edit posts -- but only after I authorize them.
>
> I'd like for everyone else (random folks visiting the wiki)
> to be able to view the pages.
>
> I looked in local/config.php, and even changed that one
> line:
>
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('ultra_super_secret');
>
> But that doesn't seem to affect anything.
>
> The comments above that line in the config file say:
> ## You'll probably want to set an administrative password that you
> ## can use to get into password-protected pages.
>
> but I've got no idea what these "password-protected pages" are.
> What are they? What are they good for?
>
> Is there some admin page I can go to, to graphically check checkboxes
> of which users can have editing privileges?
>
> I've also looked here:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/InitialSetupTasks
> but there's nothing there about what I'm trying to do (which seems
> like it'd be pretty common).
>
> Thanks,
> ---John

Ok, I've found this page:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LocalCustomizations
and am trying to figure out how scripts/authuser.php
works. Any pointers still gratefully accepted. :)

Since this seems like a very common thing for wiki admins
to do, it would be great if there was a detailed example
right on that http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LocalCustomizations
page of exactly what you modify, and where, to make it happen.

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but my pmwiki/cookbook
directory is completely empty (except for a .cvsignore file).

---J