[pmwiki-users] Utility pages

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Wed Jun 15 14:33:56 CDT 2005

Aha. So this is where this thread started :)

At 10:45 PM 6/14/2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>There are basically three issues we have to resolve:
>     1.  Where should the "utility" pages go (i.e., what should this
>         utility group be called)?

Yay for Site!

>     2.  What variable should we use to configure the location of the
>         utility pages?

$WikiGroupName :) Since it does refer to the wiki and it's technical
(wikiadmins would deal with it, it may not get too conspicuous) A variable
would also allow separate fields to have a task-specific name for their own
utility group.

>     3.  How do we migrate to choices #1 and #2 without drastically
>         breaking things in the process?

A batch of renames that works both on the current contents and on the
available history?

>     Site.AllRecentChanges
>     Site.AllRecentUploads      (not currently used in 2.0)

The following could be overwritten by Group (or even Page? if we can figure
out a syntax, e.g. Group.Page-RecentUploads) versions
>     Site.RecentChanges
>     Site.RecentUploads      (not currently used in 2.0)
>     Site.SideBar
>     Site.ApprovedUrls
>     Site.Blocklist
>     Site.EditQuickReference
>     Site.UploadQuickReference
>     Site.WikiHelp            (never been terribly useful)
>     Site.EditForm              (proposed, see Test.EditForm on pmwiki.org)
>     Site.ActionList     (proposed)

no Page version for these ones :)
>     Site.Search
>     Site.PageNotFound
>     Site.HomePage
>     Site.WikiSandbox

>   My previous objection to the
>"Site" proposal was that I didn't like "Site.HomePage" as the default
>starting page,

Why? It sounds descriptive to me, if one runs the wiki as a site. OTOH, if
the wiki is only part of a site, people would use the variable to create
some name that makes sense to their goals (e.g. DevArea, DocSpot,
EditaBlog... even Main - yuk)

awwww...  :(

>If we go with "Site", I think the obvious configuration variable name
>for it is $SiteGroup.

... which would not be meaningful for fields and for wikis set to manage
only specific areas of a site. Imagine a farm set to emulate a deeper
hierarchical structure, for example.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)