[pmwiki-users] "Site" under construction

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 16 15:28:04 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:20:27PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Now the tricky part is getting from here to there.

Okay, I've thought about it some more -- here are more details.

1.  The "Site" group will be locked by default against editing or
    changing passwords via Site.GroupAttributes.  Also, web spiders
    will be told not to index or follow links from pages in the
    Site group.

2.  Main.AllRecentChanges will become $SiteGroup.AllRecentChanges.
    For at least the next few releases (the "transition"), PmWiki will
    continue to update Main.AllRecentChanges if it exists or is
    explicitly defined in $RecentChangesFmt.  After upgrading,
    a wiki admin can generally rename the Main.AllRecentChanges to
    Site.AllRecentChanges.  There may be other places that continue
    to reference "Main.AllRecentChanges" -- these probably have to
    be handled on an ad-hoc basis.

3.  Main.SearchWiki will become $SiteGroup.Search.  During
    the transition PmWiki will continue to provide both Main.SearchWiki
    and Site.Search pages, but eventually Main.SearchWiki will disappear.
    Or, perhaps we change the default Main.SearchWiki to have a note
    telling people to update their bookmark or skins to the new Site.Search
    page.

4.  Main.ApprovedUrls and Main.Blocklist will become
    $SiteGroup.ApprovedUrls and $SiteGroup.Blocklist.
    But if Main.ApprovedUrls or Main.Blocklist exist, PmWiki will use
    them as appropriate.

5.  Main.PageNotFound will become Site.PageNotFound.
    I don't think many people or sites customize this so we'll just
    switch it and handle the (few) cases that break.

6.  Main.GroupAttributes will eventually disappear from the
    distribution, but during the transition we'll leave it in place.

7.  Main.SideBar is fairly tricky.  The distribution will come with
    a Site.SideBar page, and the skins will generally use $SiteGroup.SideBar
    to get to the "site sidebar".  But if an existing site already has
    Main.SideBar, we should probably use it.  OTOH, perhaps it's better
    if things just break upfront and we tell admins to either rename
    or copy their existing Main.SideBar file to Site.SideBar as part of
    the upgrade.

8.  AFAIK, any other pages that show up in Main are due to special
    cookbook recipes or scripts, and those just have to be handled
    in a somewhat ad-hoc manner...

9.  PmWiki.EditQuickReference and PmWiki.UploadQuickReference are moved
    to Site, and their defaults are updated accordingly in $PageEditFmt
    and $PageUploadFmt.

10. Of course, someone who wants to keep the existing configuration
    can largely do so by setting $SiteGroup='Main'; in their
    local/config.php...

I'm sure I'm overlooking some important pieces, but that's a start.