making mistakes (was: Re: [pmwiki-users] Deleting dead WikiPages and WikiGroups)

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Sun Mar 6 19:24:55 CST 2005

At 2005-03-07  11:54 AM +1100, Algis Kabaila is rumored to have said:
>Neil, you are a gentelman and a scholar!  A pleasure to know you, even if
>only
>in the cyberspace!
>
>So what would you suggest to an old guy, who has been learning all his life
>and will die ignorant, as far as PHP programming is concerned?  If the answer
>is "go for it", any elementary texts that you would recommend to a person,
>who spent many years programming (before the Computer Science was invented),
>but heard of PHP programs/scripts only two months ago?
>
>OldAl.
>
>PS: Does Pm reside in Canada too?
>A.

OldAl

Many thanks for the compliment! I started to send a reply to your earlier
question regarding life expectancy for males. The major determinants (other
than good genes) are where you live and whether you smoke. And in my
opinion, a healthy curiosity about new things keeps you feeling younger
even if it does nothing for your chronological age. Based on that, I would
say go for it!

There is an excellent PHP text that I bought from Amazon, "Creating
Interactive Web Sites with PHP and Web Services
by Eric Rosebrock":

         http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782142796/qid%3D1110157922/701-0560057-3244317

(I am sure that others have their own favourites). Eric Rosebrock is
affiliated with the PHPFreaks website:

         http://www.phpfreaks.com/

That website, and http://www.php.net/docs.php have the entire documentation
for PHP online. I use the online sources for searches, but the book is much
easier to handle at the breakfast table or in the bathroom, where all
serious reading is done.

As for residency questions, PM works at Texas A&M University-Corpus
Christi, and I assume he lives In Texas somewhere because there aren't many
places within commuting distance (Mexico is closer than the nearest US
state). His bio is online at http://www.pmichaud.com/

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/