[pmwiki-users] still can't get my farm working

rickla rickla.rick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:44:12 CST 2005

Thanks for the tips, Neil.

I decided to delete everything and start again to eliminate any errors
I made yesterday. But I've recereated the same problem.

Short description:
My field wiki shows up fine. But clicking on edit page brings up the
edit window for the corresponding page in the farm wiki (which, like
Neil, I don't really want to be servable; they're just there as a
repository for code used by the fields).

Short request:
Can anyone suggest what my error might be?

Long description:
For anyone who has the patience to read this, I've documented every step I took.

1. Uploaded latest pmwiki in "rikiwiki" directory, unpacked, renamed pmwiki.
2. In pmwiki/local, created farmconfig.php . Put in the $FarmPubDirUrl
only, as an absolute path starting with http:// and ending with pub
without a trailing slash.
3. In pmwiki, renamed pmwiki.php as index.php (thanks for that
suggestion, Neil!)
4. Created first field directory, kumamotoefl , inside pmwiki directory.
5. In pmwiki/kumamotoefl created index.php
Content was <?php include('http://...full path to
.../pmwiki/index.php'); ?>  [any problems with the syntax?)
6. Changed permissions on pmwiki/kumamotoefl to 2777 by using chmod.
7. Loaded the field wiki in a browser.
Received an error message telling me to create a wiki.d directory
under pmwiki and give it permissions of 777.
8. Did as instructed and reloaded the field. Opened fine. BUT clicking
on Edit Page opens up the editing window for the corresponding farm
wiki (which, as I mentioned, I don't really want to exist).
Note that PmWiki didn't create any files or directories in the
kumamotoefl field for me.

Long Request:
It's clear that, although I haven't done everything wrong (at least
the field wiki does show up) something very basic is messed up. It's
almost as if the field index page is just acting as an alias to the
farm wiki. If anyone could go through the steps I took and suggest
what I did wrong, it would be an immense help. If and when I figure it
out, assuming it's not just some stupid mistyping on my part, I might
have a go at updating the WikiFarms documentation, because for newbies
like me it's not entirely clear how the WikiFarms instructions and the
basic installation instructions interact.

Thanks for your patience,
Rick