[pmwiki-users] block preformat, spaceless?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sat Mar 19 00:16:15 CST 2005

At 2005-03-18  10:17 PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>It's just a convenience that the "lines w/spaces are preformatted" rule
>combined with the "preserve [=...=]" rule results in a preformatted block.
>However, authors continually miss its availability, even though it's
>mentioned in PmWiki.TextFormattingRules in the section on [=...=]
>escapes (among other places).  So, we still need to point it out a bit
>better somehow.

I don't think this is a problem with the docs. It is a problem because the
leading space is very small and (even worse) invisible.

This was discussed a while ago, but I think there needs to be some visible
mark to indicate what the author is trying to do.

Rather than coming up with yet another set of hard-to-remember symbols, why
not just bite the bullet and do something like:

(:code:)
line 1
line 2
etc
(:codeend:)

Unfortunately, "codeend" is a nasty looking thing itself.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668