[pmwiki-users] WikiCalendar config

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue May 17 18:05:26 CDT 2005

On Tuesday, 17 May 2005 10:27 PM, malexism <malexism at free.fr> wrote:
>But if you have only one month on the page
>"SDV($calendar_months_number,1);", this is ok for previous and next
>month, but there is a "hole" forward and backward.
>
>I can't explain well... better with an example :
>
>we are in May and this is the double link :
>« Avril 2005 · Juin 2005 »
>
>if i clic on june, this is the double link, and it is ok :
>« Mai 2005 · Juillet 2005 »
>
>then i clic on july and this is the problem :
>
>« Mai 2005 · Juin 2005 · Août 2005 »
>Why there is 3 links ?
>
>Then, if i clic on august :
>« Mai 2005 · Juillet 2005 · Septembre 2005 »
>3 link, and a hole (where is june ?)
>
>Is it a feature ? If so, I really don't understand... :-)

It may be a mis-designed feature...

The behaviour you describe is 'by design'.

The links make it easy to get to next, previous and current
preiods. At the moment, there is no link to any given period.
You can change the logdate=yyyymm value to select the desired
month, but this is not very friendly.

I can see 3 options to give general month navigation links:

1 fill in the holes in the current top of page links, so you
  see for example in Août 2005

    « Mai 2005 · Juin 2005 · Juillet 2005 · Septembre 2005 »

2 remove the 'current month' link and add a new option,
  for example in a SideBar, that displays a pick list of
  (say) 15 months -- 11 previous, current, 3 next --
  and a Go button, with the current month selected

3 remove the 'current month' link and add a new option,
  for example in a SideBar, that displays an item list of
  links to (say) 15 months -- 11 previous, current, 3 next --
  with the current month highlighted in some way

Would any of these options meet your requirement?

My preference is, I think, 3 as one can imagine a display
option in which (for example) the SideBar includes a link
to the first day in each month with a calendar entry.
Like this:

Janvier 2005
    12.01.2005
Février 2005
    03.02.2005
Mars 2005
    24.03.2005
Avril 2005
Mai 2005
    01.05.2005

In this example, there are no entries in Avril. Depending on
performance impact, it could display links to all pages in
all months, but that could make the list very long. The above
example would be between 15 and 30 lines long.

And if extendmarkup is enabled and pages start with a heading,
the day links will have a tool tip.

This is already on the feature request list from someone else,
so I'd prefer to add one feature that meets both people's
requirements if possible.

What do you think of these ideas?
--
JR