[pmwiki-users] Italian translation for V2

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat May 21 10:49:17 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:44:34PM +0200, Ugo Mariani wrote:
>
>> On Friday 20 May 2005 22:43, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>> All that's really left for V2.0 to be released is-
>>>
>>>   documentation
>>
>> Wait a minute... If the documentation isn't ready yet, is it wise
>> to start translating the documentation?

This problem was addressed (not solved!) in the German translation by
the convention
of adding a notice at the top of each translated page:

(German translation of PmWiki.<pagename>, as of <translation/update date>)

Note that these even link back to the original page, so anybody who's
wondering how current the translation is can check back and update a
page if necessary. This enables wiki culture to keep the translations up
to date, which I found quite nice.
I actually updated one or two pages on occasion, something I probably
wouldn't have done if that link hadn't made it so easy to
cross-reference the original text and see where the original had gotten
ahead of the translation. So adding that notice to the top of the page
actually has proven to work well in practice, at least for me :-)

> Documentation is always a moving/improving target -- I don't know
> that I can ever call it "final" or ready.  What is on pmwiki.org now
> is fairly accurate -- it just might not be as clear or complete as
> we'd like.

Um... well... yes, many pages are "fairly accurate". However, there are
lots of undocumented things that should be documented.

Take markup syntax as an example. I recently reviewed the Master Markup
Index. I found one or two markups not mentioned, one markup that didn't
link to the appropriate page, and on the linked pages, some had fairly
inaccurate descriptions of the syntax.
That was just from checking the entries in the first two paragraphs the
Markup Master Index (those that deal with (:...:)-style markup). I
didn't (yet) muster the courage to check the remaining markup - that
(:...:)-style markup has simpler regular expressions that were easier to
check, the regular expressions for the in-line markups were a bit too
intimidating ;-)

Regards,
Jo