[pmwiki-users] shared css files in skins

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 11:09:02 CDT 2005

On 9/2/05, Hans <design at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> I have been developing GeminiTwo and FixFlow skins in tandem now for a
> while. Both skins have very different templates, but share all
> of the css files for various colour and font schemes etc.
> Even the skin.php files are largely identical.
>
> I wonder if anyone has a good idea if they could actually share these
> files, without having to duplicate them into their own skin
> directories, as is now the case. I would like to simplify the
> maintenance of these skins.

You're running into largely the same problem as I did for Lens.  Your
design goals, as I understand them:

- ease maintenance by centrally storing CSS files, default wikipages,
and common code from skin.php
- load a different template according to $Skin

The simple way to do this, since the templates are different, is
- Gemini and Fixflow have their own folders, with their own templates.
- create pub/skins/hans-shared containing your common code.
- new skin.php does the following:
-- declares $CommonCodePath = "$FarmD/pub/skins/hans-shared";
-- include_once($CommonCodePath/common.php);

Then, skin.php has done everything necessary for the template to run
and all is happy.  What might not be happy is Pm's reaction -- he
doesn't like Lens using more than one folder, so he might not approve
of pub/skins/hans-shared.

Bronwyn