[pmwiki-users] jeezipedia

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:19:35 CDT 2005

On 9/2/05, Radu <radu at monicsoft.net> wrote:
> At 04:56 PM 9/2/2005, H. Fox wrote:

> That's fine. Thanks to Bronwyn, I have more arguments to (try to)
> convince Authors that 'free links' are good. Free refering to the
> freedom to do more stuff rather than to the typing cost. That word is
> such a semantic nightmare ;)

I think it got named that because after the
RestrictivePatternOfWikiWords, you're [[free, free to write whatever
link text you want]], even if it's only one [[word]].  Plus it opened
up ways to have [[WikiWords | your own choice]] of link text
regardless of target name.

> I probably jumped at the mention of wikipedia, having recently seen
> the bunch of recipes directed at making pmwiki look like mediawiki. :)

I figure that those are for two perfectly good reasons:

(1) mediawiki does have an unusually nice appearance out of the box
(2) (much more importantly) making your authors feel safe: "...this
looks just like Wikipedia...does that mean I'm allowed to edit it?"

Bronwyn