[pmwiki-users] Re: Faster searches and categories

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Tue Sep 13 02:40:56 CDT 2005

> I have added a recipe for faster searches and categories:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FastSearch
>
> This recipe uses find and grep and so may not be very
> portable (to windows).
>
> I know that pm and a few others are working on an indexed
> mechanism to speed up backlinks (categories), but my
> solution is so simple and fast, that I thought I had to
> share it.  Without it categories and searching is unusable
> on my site.  I have an old Pentium 200 and over 1000 files.
> A typical search will go from around 30 seconds to about 3
> seconds now.
Sounds good for linux servers :-)
I would try sometime this week when I upgrade my local setup to v2.0.5

> In the past I have offered similar solutions to the list to
> speed up categories, but this one is even simpler and also
> speeds up searches.
>
> Feedback welcome,
I just noticed in the code:
It redefines the function:
function MakePageList

function MakePageList -> exists in pagelist.php
I am a bit confused, can we redefine an existing function??
If so could you guide me a little, as I was working on a code which needs to
redefine a function.

Regards
V.Krishn