[pmwiki-users] How can I set up a private area?

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 13:27:50 CST 2006

Sunday, January 15, 2006, 11:43:19 AM, Michael wrote:
> I've been thinking of setting up this area as a pmwiki "group", but
> there seem to be some problems - e.g. the group - although it's read
> protected - still gets searched and listed in recent changes, and maybe
> more.

To set read and edit permissions for a group you set the passwords on
the GroupAttributes page (not for the GroupHeader):
      MyPrivateGroup.GroupAttributes?action=attr

Read protected pages and groups are as default not listed in search
results and pagelists. This is set with
  $EnablePageListProtect = 1;
It is set to 1 as the default. So no action needs to be done to
prevent private pages from being listed.

The page changes in the private group are posted to the group's
RecentChanges page, but that is fine, as this page read protection
is set as for all the pages in the group with
GroupAttributes?action=attr

All page changes are posted to Site.AllRecentChanges. This includes
changes to pages in the private group. So it may be prudent to
restrict access to Site.AllRecentChanges, make it read protected like
the private group.

Finally to secure uploads to the private group see
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SecureAttachments

As a sidenote: documentation about the GroupAttributes
is missing from PmWiki/PasswordsAdmin, which should be the place to
find this info.

Best,
~Hans