[pmwiki-users] Group-aware authentication via PAM

Dave Kliczbor maligree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 14:19:59 CDT 2006

Hello out there!

I'm new to PmWiki and this list, but I have searched the Cookbook and
the list archives without a satisfactory answer...

I'm trying to achieve group-aware auth via PAM.

That means: I have a bunch of UN*X accounts, organized in 10 or so UN*X
user groups. One user may be in more than one group. The file access
model on the server already use this scheme. I just want be able to say
in PmWiki "This Page (or PageGroup) should only be writeable for the
UN*X group xyz".

On http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUser I found a quick hack to
access PAM (near the bottom of the page). But that does not distinguish
between UN*X groups -- how should it, since the used pam_unix() module
doesn't know anything about groups?

With http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UserAuth I did not find any
reference to PAM at all.

Is it in any way possible? If not, where can I start to write my own
auth script? Is UserAuth necessary? Or should I start from AuthUser?

cya
 Dave Kliczbor