[pmwiki-users] Growing pains -- prevention thereof

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 8 13:17:56 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:38:15AM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> I'm looking at:
>
> www.domain1.com/pmwikiengine
> www.domain1.com/wiki11  (also reachable from www.wiki1.domain1.com)
> www.domain2.com/wiki21
> www.domain2.com/wiki22
>
> Questions:
>
> Can I disguise the fact that domain2 is getting the wiki engine from
> domain1 ? At least disguise it from the casual user. If so, how?

Assuming you're doing a standard farm setup, at the author/visitor-level
each wiki appears to be entirely independent -- i.e., it's not at
all obvious that the separate wikis are sharing a common engine.

> Can I still do it if the domains are on two different server accounts?

As long as they are on the same server, it can be done from separate
server accounts.

> How much work will it be to move a wiki from my own account to another?

It's not much work at all -- generally I would:

    install pmwiki
    copy the wiki.d/ directory
    copy any local/ files and cookbook recipes

See also Hagan's excellent advice about using BackupAndRestore.