[pmwiki-users] Server open file count growing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jun 8 16:40:51 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:24:20PM -0500, Doug Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:34:22PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >Is there any way that you could find out *which files* the httpd
> >daemons are holding open?  Perhaps something in the /proc filesystem
> >could tell us?  On my linux boxes, the following bash command will
> >tell me the number of file descriptors currently held by each process:
>
> It turns out that of the 492 open fd's by httpd's that 361 are to
> /var/www/logs/ssl_scache.db.
> [...]
> At this point I'm guessing that I'm chasing an
> Apache/SSL issue that happens to get exercised by heavy editing
> in the WiKi, but....

I have to agree, it looks like an issue within Apache.  I did a
few Google searches to see if I could find out any notes on this
one, but didn't come across anything that looked useful.

Are the open fds spread out relatively evenly among the httpd
processes, or are there just a few that seem to be eating up
the fds?

At any rate, the quick-and-dirty solution will likely be to
set a value of MaxRequestsPerChild.  FWIW, I have
MaxRequestsPerChild set to 100 on my server.