[pmwiki-users] Setting general wiki-wide password

Donald Z. Osborn dzosborn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 23:57:00 CDT 2006

It's late, I'm tired and 12-zone jetlagged, so please pardon what is
probably a very dumb question.

I just upgraded my wiki and have turned again to the issue of setting a
password. I want just to have a general password for users to enter before
editing pages (to stem a slowly growing spam problem) but think I see only
instructions for an admin password or for non-admin passwords on individual
pages. Actually I'm not sure I understand the difference between admin
passwords and passwords anyway (hopefully this is not also a wiki IQ problem
on my part). I would have assumed that most admin actions would not be
possible except to the owner, people with permission to access the server
directory where the wiki is installed, and skilled hackers with too much
time on their hands.

Actually I'm a little concerned that by setting an admin password (if I
understand the concept correctly) I would be opening a possibility of
unwanted levels of access. Rather like knocking a hole in a wall to put in a
door with a lock, if that analogy makes any sense - i.e., a lock picker can
get in where before his tools couldn't breach the wall.

But the main question simply is, what do I do to set a (global) password for
users of the site who wish to make ordinary amendments/edits to ordinary
pages throughout the site? Do I set an admin password anyway, or give each
page the same password individually, or (hopefully) something a lot simpler.

Thanks in advance for your patience with this question.

Don Osborn