[pmwiki-users] PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 18:39:06 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 04:22:11PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> > In short, I think it makes sense for something like
> > %code% to identify things such as borders, background
> > color, font,
>
> Some of those might clash with a skin or two.  (For example, imagine
> if someone tries a white-on-black page template.  I once tried, but
> too much styling was hard-coded into PmWiki at the time.)

I don't think we can have a default that gets everything right
in every possible situation.  :-)  If someone installs a white-on-black
template, I don't think it's too much to ask that the admin
(or the skin.php) fix up the %code% style.

> In that case maybe we've come full circle, where
>
>     [@
>     @]
>
> Shouldn't produce a trailing blank line.

I've looked into it further, and now I've figured out where the
trailing blank line is coming from.   I thought the code was
preserving the newline that is immediately before the @] ...
but couldn't figure out why it would disappear in the other
examples.   That's not what is happening -- the trailing newline
(and whitespace) inside the [@...@] *is* being removed, it's
the newline that comes *after* the @] that is generating
the blank line, because it's in a (top-level) preformatted block.

That's why an initial %% or --> changes everything, because those
change the generation of the preformatted block.

I'll have to do some tests to see how to reliably get rid of
that extra line, as I agree it shouldn't be there.  (There's
an outside chance it won't be possible without breaking a
lot of other stuff.)