[pmwiki-users] Wiki farm confusion

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 15 19:24:39 CST 2006

At 2006-03-15  06:19 PM -0500, The Editor is rumored to have said:
>As I've read through the maze of posts, it's become quite obvious to
>me we're using the word farm in multiple ways:  a farm install (the
>approach), a farm field (a field), "the" farm field (the barn field),
>the farm itself (the barn).  That's where the ambiguity is.  Using my
>barn idea seems to make thngs very simple, clear, and intuitive--which
>is what makes PmWiki so great.  It separates the code (the equipment
>in the barn) from the data (the fields, where our wiki's are hopefully
>growing).

I am not ready to buy your barn yet, nor am I ready to sell the farm
and give up on fields. You are absolutely right that the major
problem is imprecise or unnecessary use of the word "farm".

To flog this dead horse one more time (and no, the horse was not in the barn!):
* A farm (or wiki farm) is a collection of two or more wiki fields
running on the same server that use one copy of the PmWiki code.
* A field is a single wiki with a unique URL. Each field lives in its
own directory.
* The "home field" is where most of the PmWiki code (particularly
pmwiki.php) lives.

There should be no such thing as a "farm field", because a farm is a
collection of fields - just like in Green Acres country.

The original docs did (maybe still do) refer to the home field as the
"farm field" and that is what completely confused me. The farm is all
the fields together.

What I have called the home field could just as well be called the
main field or the master field or the mother field - those are all
concepts that lend themselves to immediate understanding of the
relationship between the fields. Calling it the barn field does not
do this, to my mind.

Jo and Hagan are proposing to completely isolate the code by removing
it from the webroot. In that scenario, your barn is no longer in a field.

If the word field is what is causing the problem, then what about
retaining the farm name, but calling fields wikis (as was suggested
elsewhere). Then my three points read as follows:
* A farm (or wiki farm) is a collection of two or more wikis running
on the same server that use one copy of the PmWiki code.
* Each wiki lives in its own directory and has its own URL.
* The "home wiki" is where most of the PmWiki code (particularly
pmwiki.php) lives.

And then we could add:
* Some admins prefer to store the PmWiki code in a directory which is
not a wiki. In this case there is no "home wiki". See WikiFarmsAdvanced.

But I still strongly believe that WikiFarms should describe how to do
a vanilla install and then add one or more  fields (wikis) with the
common code kept in the original "home field" (home/master/mother wiki).

All the rest of the bewildering permutations can be kept elsewhere so
as not to frighten new admins away.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/