[pmwiki-users] Spam Blocking Proposal

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 28 17:04:35 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:39:16PM -0600, Chris Cox wrote:
> Wendell Brown wrote:
> > I am apparently one of several pmwiki users to become a renewed target
> > for wiki spam.  And being a firm believer in proactive blocking (ie,
>
> ..snippy...
>
> Just stating the obvious.  You might want to investigate using
> authorized logins for editing.  IMHO, that works well.. you can't
> edit without logging in.

I should also point out (as Neil has) that a simple (shared)
password will often suffice, even if it's widely known or easily
located.  This avoids the overhead of maintaining user accounts
and dealing with things like forgotten passwords.

One of my sites has over 100K pages and 1K+ authors, all of whom
know the shared edit password.  That site hasn't had any trouble with
spamming.