[pmwiki-users] Frustrated newbie: T_STRING?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 10 20:46:31 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:32:05PM -0700, Heather Logas wrote:
>    Hello all...I am trying to get pmwiki up and running for project
>    management use.
>
>    This is my first foray into creating a wiki...so far I successfully got it
>    all installed on my server (I was proud of myself for accomplishing even
>    THAT!)  I struggled a bit with the config file, but I think I have it how
>    I want it now.  Alas, when I put the config file in the local folder and
>    hit refresh in the browser, I get:
>
>    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in
>    /home/.ebanwasher/jetgirl/smwiki.jetgirl.net/local/config.php on line 215
>
>    I looked into this T_STRING thing and discovered that it usually occurs
>    when there is some stray mark out of place.  But the nutty thing is, I
>    don't HAVE a line 215 in my config file!

Usually this would mean that there's somewhere where a string is
opened but not closed -- i.e., a forgotten or mis-matched closing
quote.  For example, in the following

     $WikiTitle = 'PmWiki;
     $DefaultPasswords["admin"] = crypt("secret");

I've left off the closing quotation mark after 'PmWiki, as a result,
PHP thinks that the $WikiTitle extends all the way to the end of
the config file, at which point it complains.

So, check to make sure all of the quotation marks match and that
every open quote has a corresponding close quote in the right place.

It's also possible that there's a semicolon missing somewhere.

Lastly, if neither of those help, send me your config.php file
and I'll take a look.