[pmwiki-users] pagelist is creating links relative to the current group?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed May 24 11:59:00 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> The crux of the problem is that there are multiple possibilities for
> a group's "default home page"-- i.e., for a group XYZ the default
> home page can be either "XYZ.XYZ" or "XYZ.HomePage".

If there's a bewildering array of choices with no clear preference, it
can help to take a step back and reconsider the design.
(Of course, this approach can only produce conceptually better choices.
Mapping them to technical solutions can still be, er, a challenge :-)
Take the following as a brainstorming session.)

In this case, I'd say "group XYZ's home page is named XYZ".

This might also help create an infrastructure for a hierarchical group
structure. Naming the group's home page was one of the major trouble
spots there IIRC.

Re hierarchical group structure: I (finally!) have a real use case for that.
A friend of mine is setting up an equipment list (as a part of a larger
site). There are many, wildly varying kinds of equipment, and each class
of equipment is subdivided into subclasses, which in turn are divided
into sub-sub-classes.
So far, this all could easily be naming pages according to a
ClassSubclassSubsubclass.Item schema.
However, there are two problems with that:
1) It's difficult to organize wikitrails. The "natural reading order" of
the entire hierarchy would be what's called a "preorder" (because nodes
in the tree come ''before'' their child nodes), but there's no easy way
of setting up a wiki trail that lists the items in preorder. (I think
the root of the problem is that PmWiki doesn't know that the pages
Class.HomePage, ClassSubclass.HomePage, and
ClassSubclassSubsubclass.HomePage are structurally related.)
2) It's difficult to reorganize the hierarchy. Moving a Subclass to a
different Class (with the benefit of hindsight, as is often the case)
means moving not just the pages in Subclass to NewSubclass, but also all
  pages in SubclassSubsubclass* to NewSubclassSubsubclass*.

Regards,
Jo