[pmwiki-users] (:subtitle:) markup

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:06:49 CDT 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 05:49:08PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> Would it be too risky to let (:title ..:) store the resulting title in the
>> page, so that eg [[Cars.The90s|+]] would work?  I guess we're in the
>> territory of page attributes now...
>
> (:title:) *does* store the resulting title into the page file (this
> is how {...$Title} and [[...|+]] currently work).

I think we interpret that slightly different. Here's how I think it works,
although I'm far from sure. When the page is saved, some function looks
for "(:title:)" in the page source, recognizes it and saves the attribute.
As an aside, to me that's not (:title:) doing the storing, but the save
process.

I was thinking of actually letting (:title:) modify the attribute (if it
is different). Since (:title:) is "executed" whenever the page is browsed,
the title could be updated at anytime. That's what sounds a bit risky to
me.

> I can add an option to allow (:include:) pages to be processed during
> page saves, if that's what is desired.  This would mean that (:title:)
> directives in included pages would be saved as attributes, and
> essentially do the same as currently.  (However, there might be lots of
> other side-effects from doing this; I haven't tracked it all down yet.)

To be honest, I have no idea how this would affect things...

Wouldn't things be easier if we could simply edit page attributes
directly?

> I know that having (:title:) "active" from included pages currently goes
> against the expectation of a lot of authors, so it's probably better to
> make the default that pages receive their titles only from (:title:)
> directives in the page itself.

I agree, this is a better default. It's a pity that it doesn't really
help, if we were to let included pages only set the title when the
original page doesn't contain (:title:).

/Christian