[pmwiki-users] ZAPchat module completed...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Nov 15 19:46:51 CST 2006

Hi all!  Great nNews!

Well, I haven't uploaded the module to PmWik or written up the docs
fully, but it is working and doing all I want, except for a rather
inexplicable problem in IE.  It is up and working at the ZAP demo
site.  This chat system only uses PmWiki and ZAP (with the ZAPchat
module).  No downloads, java, nothing.

It allows users to create rooms, switch rooms, list rooms, get info
about rooms, list members in rooms, do whois of members, clear the
chat history, or view archives, warn, kick and ban members, send
private messages, make members @admins or strip them of admin status,
mark your member as away or back, do actions in a room, create rooms
from the chat bar and destroy rooms and all chat history.  Click the
Chat Commands link for help. Configurable refresh rates, and flexible
chat window size (you could put it in a sidebar if you wanted). All
this and more...  In a wiki!

(To try it, go to www.zapsite.com, login, then go to the Chat Snippet.)

The private messaging system can be used within chat or separately for
near realtime instant messaging.  This messaging system can even work
across rooms.  And if someone's not in, the messages wait till next
time they log in.  Or, you could think of them as sticky notes, maybe
short reminders with links to a full document...  Annotating documents
among select editors...  Many possibilities. Lot's of great ways to
use this.  It's worth's it wait in gold by itself...

Actually, the whole system is built on pagelists and groupfooters, and
ZAP's various built in form features, so it is extremely flexible and
could be designed in many different ways.  My goal was full
functionality from the start with as much flexibility built in as
possible and then leave it to other clever minds to find innovative
ways to use it. For example, send invites out by email with a one
click link to the chat room (login recommended). Or have a sitewide
live invitation to chat that lass for 10 minutes... Or detect when
someone logs in and give them a live welcome message, and support (if
you have time to sit around and talk to web visitors...).  Once you
understand how it works you can do just about any kind of
communications system you want right within PmWiki.

Please feel free to stop in and check it out.  I set up the Guest
account with admin (chat) privileges in the room "ZAPchat" so you can
try out the various features.  You can also get admin status by
creating your own room.  Feel free to report bugs and problems as I'm
pretty much finished and moving on to the debugging mode now.  Unless
you can think of a really good feature I need to add...

Cheers,
Caveman

PS.  Exactly 10000 bytes in the module... Hmmm, what's the chance of that?