[pmwiki-users] Wrong owner set for uploads

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Nov 23 13:03:59 CST 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:47:55PM -0500, Devon Warren wrote:
>    Hello, I am using PmWiki on a shared host (unfortunately). When I upload
>    any file it automatically makes it belong to nobody as the group and user.
>    It should belong to compopt as the user and nobody as the group so I can
>    go in through SSH and delete the files and modify them but instead I can
>    now no longer access them since only root can access files owned by
>    nobody.
>
>    Is there any way to have it automatically set to compopt?

Nope.  This is just the way that webservers are designed -- web software
runs under a special account ("nobody" in your case), and so any files
that the software creates are also owned by that account.  And there's
not a way for the software to change the files' ownerships (that requires
root privileges).

What PmWiki *does* do, however, is to make sure that the files its
creates have sufficient permissions to allow the account holder
("compopt") to be able to modify and delete the files.  If PmWiki
is unable to do that, it's because either there's something funny
going on with permissions or the PHP software has the chmod()
function disabled (thus preventing PmWiki from doing this).