[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

The Editor editor at fast.st
Wed Oct 4 08:28:44 CDT 2006

On 10/4/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Mark Trumpold wrote:
>  I'm new so its probably worth a grain of salt but it sounds good to me
>

> Thanks :) It's always good to know someone's awake ;)
>  On 4/10/06 2:28 PM, "Crisses" <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
>  I want to request comments on doing POP3->PmWiki.
>
>  Would everyone agree with subject->pagename?
>
> Actually, on the allow options side of the fence a default is subject but
> explicit is able to be defined might work:
>
> (:postpage Group/PageName:)
>
> Crisses

I'm not sure about all the technical aspects you mention, but to me it
seems best to put the pagename in the page, along with the author and
passcode, and then perhaps strip those markups out once the page is
posted.

Will you have a way to authenticate based on the return email address?
maintaining a list of approved emails somewhere--preferably in a wiki
page.  Not sure how much security this might add but it would be a
nice feature. Perhaps matching a username with an email on file might
be enough without a passcode, as any emailed passcode is going to be a
bit insecure anyway.

Could you have the pop3 function triggered say when a person surfs a
way from a PmWiki site, rather than visiting it?  Just thinking that
might have less impact on performance.

Could it be manually operated, say by a button in an admin protected
pagesomewhere?

And I wild thought:  with something like this couldn't you very easily
set up a web-based email interface?  Pagelists with delete
buttons/checkboxes.  Tagging pages by read/not read, or even in
categories (folders).  If combined with a recipe to send out emails,
you could have something really going here.

Some great ideas.  I really like you making this something easy to use
on those with limited access to their webserver, or limited ability to
install specialized kinds of programs.

Cheers,
Caveman