[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Oct 4 12:27:41 CDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 9:28 AM, The Editor wrote:
> I'm not sure about all the technical aspects you mention, but to me it
> seems best to put the pagename in the page, along with the author and
> passcode, and then perhaps strip those markups out once the page is
> posted.

I think both is best: subject in the body of the email overrides the
subject line as web title -- there was once an email-to-wiki script
that worked from subject line.

> Will you have a way to authenticate based on the return email address?
> maintaining a list of approved emails somewhere--preferably in a wiki
> page.

That is possible.  Just keep in mind that email is hackable --
someone can fake a From name.

>   Not sure how much security this might add but it would be a
> nice feature. Perhaps matching a username with an email on file might
> be enough without a passcode, as any emailed passcode is going to be a
> bit insecure anyway.

I was thinking just to have a "passcode" not a password login, just
to say "I'm one of the people it's ok to let through" -- there can be
other levels of (optional) authentication.

The idea is that you have a specific email address such as
"writetothewiki at example.com" which is only emails for the wiki.  You
only give it to specific people -- think that you want to send your
blog posts to the wiki through email -- you don't make it public so
it won't be spammed.  But the passcode makes it even less possible
that spam would be posted.  Just in case.  Between KNOWING the wiki
email address and the passcode, you can pretty much assume it's
someone that you gave the info to specifically.

> Could you have the pop3 function triggered say when a person surfs a
> way from a PmWiki site, rather than visiting it?  Just thinking that
> might have less impact on performance.

Unfortunately not.  There's no "I'm leaving pmwiki" script -- when
people leave PHP never notices.

> Could it be manually operated, say by a button in an admin protected
> pagesomewhere?

That will be an option -- like ?action=postemails

> And I wild thought:  with something like this couldn't you very easily
> set up a web-based email interface?  Pagelists with delete
> buttons/checkboxes.  Tagging pages by read/not read, or even in
> categories (folders).  If combined with a recipe to send out emails,
> you could have something really going here.

If that's something you want, go for it.  That's far beyond what I'm
tackling.  I am thinking a fast recipe.  Not a new email admin
interface.  Nor am I looking to do IMAP or similar.  Not
PmWikiWebmail -- frankly there are great webmail clients out there,
and I don't see a need for administering my email from a wiki
interface -- I do see where people may want to email their blog or
journal... or forward a cool email they wrote.. or have the support
mailing list auto-post to the wiki....

> Some great ideas.  I really like you making this something easy to use
> on those with limited access to their webserver, or limited ability to
> install specialized kinds of programs.

My first inclination was "only for linux admins" -- but then I
decided to check if anyone has already written a Pop3 client in PHP
-- there are things available, which means I can get to work, and the
script wouldn't take too long unless I have to add too many options.
At first it may not have every feature, but would be able to be
upgraded later....

Crisses