[pmwiki-users] Date formats (was: Re: Google ping service)

Nils Knappmeier nk at knappi.org
Tue Oct 10 06:51:22 CDT 2006

pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 12:26:14 -0500
> "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 10:47:36AM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Just being cheeky. I know this list, and PmWiki's customer
>>> base, is multinational.  So, I can adjust.
>>>
>>> But, while we're on it, why not just go with ISO so as not
>>> to confuse us Americans?[1] (2006-10-09) If we use ISO, then
>>> there won't be the issue between Americans/rest-of-the-world
>>> for dates.
>>>
>> FWIW, all of PmWiki's date handling in markup and page names
>> will be using ISO-formatted dates.
>>

> What about dd-Mmm-yyyy: 08-Jan-2007? [My preferred format] Nobody
> ever confuses these dates. Will you be supporting these?
>
> ISO formatted dates are still confusing for my users: is
> it? 01/08/07 or 07/01/08 or 01/08/07...

I don't quite understand what we are talking about.
Dates in page titles, dates in page text? Dates for
conditional markup?
I don't really care for date format myself (yet), but if
there are different oppinions, I think there should be
a configuration option. Maybe an "strftime" format
string in config.php.

Or a combination of "strftime" and "date" (since
"strftime" does not support numbers without the
trailing 0 (such as 1.9.2006) and "date" has no
localization support).

Nils