[pmwiki-users] PmWiki group configuration for dummies

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Oct 10 21:08:14 CDT 2006

Donald Z. Osborn wrote:
> Okay, this gets dumber then:
>
> WikiGroups are very easy to set up, but in the documentation I've gone
> through as well as in your letter, a group.php file is mentioned (I
> believe this is the same thing as what you call groupname.php).
>
> For example, I can set up the GefelteFish group as easily as any other.
> But now I want a skin for that group only.
> 1) Am I defining this in config.php or in a special folder or file? It
> appears to be one of the latter. But I find no instructions or examples
> how to do that.

Take a look at PmWiki/PerGroupCustomizations and see if that helps.

Basically, you will create a new file in the same directory where your
current configuration.php file is (local/configuration.php).  This new
file should have a name that matches your group, e.g. GefelteFish.php.
In that file, you can place the same type of code that you would
otherwise place in your config.php file and that code will be used by
PmWiki for pages in the GefelteFish group.

For example, if your config.php has a line that says:

$Skin = 'gemini';

and your GefelteFish.php has a line that says:

$Skin = 'triad';

Then the skin called gemini will be used as the default throughout your
site, except for pages in the GefelteFish group, which will use the skin
called triad.

> 2) If it should be a file in the local folder, how/what would a
> GefelteFish.php look like (there is no sample-group.php file AFAIK)?
> 3) If group.php in a subfolder "GefelteFish" then the same question -
> what would go in the file in addition to the skins specification?
> 4) Then would one or the other need a pointer in the config.php file?
>
> I think I'm missing something obvious here. WIth apologies.... hopefully
> once I get past this, the language and password issues will be easy with
> the info below...

Hope that info, and the documentation, help.

Pico

--

         __  /
        /   /