[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 11:07:11 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:54:28AM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> My concern with NOT adding the page is that a wiki.d listing on the
> server won't show the page AND that if you migrate pages wholesale
> and forget to turn on the setting, your categories will be invisibly
> broken... with no one the wiser.  It's changing a site-wide
> functionality that I don't believe needs to be changed.
>
> It would solve some issues, maybe make my life as a programmer
> easier, but it's also bordering on lazier.  If I want to add
> categories, I feel that I should add categories.  If the system finds
> the mention of missing category pages, it should not pretend they
> exist -- make them exist!  PmWiki could correct the problem, or
> PmWiki can make the problem go away.

I proposed that PmWiki automatically create category pages in
the past, and there were several who responded with "please please
don't do that, I'm relying on the current behavior".

Of course, with appropriate configuration changes, all of these
approaches are possible.  The question is simply one of choosing
the appropriate default.