[pmwiki-users] Split screen feature?

Donald Z. Osborn dzosborn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 15:28:59 CDT 2006

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it sounds like frames, but having always heard
negative comments such as yours, I'm wary, and as a user was not that fond
of them either. Maybe its just that they were often being used for the wrong
purposes (like to set up a sidebar)?
Also since an increasing number of users will be in Africa with often older
systems, I'm concerned about usability. Of course one can have noframes
option, but if there were sth better than frames (with options) then that
would be if interest.

The main thing is to facilitate simultaneous views of two pages from the
wiki for comparison, navigation and editing. It would be nice if one could
move the bar of a frame separating 2 frames to get a larger view of one
frame at the expense of another.

Originally I was thinking of one sidebar and 2 page windows (or frames) but
it might be easiest to just have 2 views of the wiki in which one can
navigate on the top or on the bottom view (kind of a 2-piece wiki or
something)

As a simple hack, maybe I could look into providing a "frames" option which
opens 2 instances of PmWiki in 2 frames. But I've never set up frames. In
looking at http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html I also note
mention of embeddding HTML objects - somewhere in here there's an answer
maybe.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll return with questions if need be.

Don