[pmwiki-users] $EnableIMSCaching questions

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Wed Aug 22 10:30:00 CDT 2007

I've always left the $EnableIMSCaching variable disabled (the default
setting) on my PmWiki sites, and I've gotten used to the quirks of its
behavior, such as that when you try to go back to a page that was based
on a form submission, your browser complains that it will have to submit
the form data again.  But one of my clients is asking whether we can
enable caching to speed up the site, so I have some questions about how
it works.

I'm intrigued by the promise that $EnableIMSCaching enables caching in a
"somewhat intelligent manner," but I need details!  :-)  Specifically:

* If I turn on $EnableIMSCaching, will all wiki-served pages be allowed
to cache, including those whose action=edit, or are edit-action pages
exempt?  I'm concerned about people inadvertently editing old versions
of pages, since many of our pages write to a database via DataQuery.  Is
it possible to only cache pages when action=browse?

* Does the caching or lack thereof affect only wiki pages, or does it
also affect other files retrieved during the same HTTP connection, such
as .css, .ico, and .js files?  We're finding that these files are
unexpectedly high in our traffic statistics, which leads us to think
they're not being cached by browsers.  Will turning on $EnableIMSCaching
cause these files to be cached as well as pages?

Thanks in advance!  --Ben S.