[pmwiki-users] detect new SimpleForum messages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 15:26:04 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:07:26PM -0600, JB wrote:
> * Hans wrote, On 1/4/2007 3:19 AM:
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/FeedLinks
>
> I kinda got the RSS working.
>
> It is providing a feed based on <groupname>.RecentChanges.
> SimpleForum uses two pages - Forum.HomePage and
> Forum.GroupFooter.  These two pages show up in the RSS feed,
> but I do not want them to, I just want the new topics/messages
> to show up.

The feeds.php script is designed to be able to make it easy to
set custom options for feeds (such as excluding specific pages),
but when I looked just now it appears there's a bug that prevents
it from working.  :-(

So, in 2.2.0-beta20 one would be able to do:

    $FeedPageListOpt['list'] = 'normal';

and pages such as GroupFooter, RecentChanges, etc. will be
automatically excluded from ?action=rss output.  If you also
wanted to exclude Forum.HomePage from the output, one could do:

    $FeedPageListOpt['name'] = '-Forum.HomePage';

> So now the RSS feed shows new topics, but it will only show
> new topics.  If a comment is added to a topic that was already
> read it does not show up in the RSS feeder.

Did you mean to say here that a comment added to an existing page
doesn't show up in the RSS feed or in an RSS reader?  There's
a small difference -- a comment added to a topic page should still
appear in the RSS feed, but might not appear in some (broken)
RSS readers.

If it's not appearing in the feed itself, it's likely a bug
somewhere.  If it's appearing in the feed but not showing as
being updated in a particular newsreader, let's see about
providing a workaround for it.