[pmwiki-users] ID in wiki markups

Guillermo Calderon - INCO calderon at fing.edu.uy
Tue Mar 20 18:06:43 CDT 2007

Hi all;

I have a doubt about the inclusion of ID fields in some markups.
For instance:

   * tables
   * input, form
   * styles %%
   * div and >>..<<
   * (:div ... :)

In this markups, the author can write an id field wich will be
converted to and html id atributte.
The problem is that it is posible to obtain non-valid html
code since duplicates ids can appear.

  Writing a wiki page is a collaborative task, so it is very hard that
an author have account of the  ids written for others.

Moreover, the author doesn't know what ids are in non-editable  parts
of the page (the ones in template file .tmpl).

Mi questions:

Why  would an author like to write ids in a wiki page?
(I think that  "class" is enought for more purposes)

How can we avoid duplicating ids if it is allowed?