[pmwiki-users] Farm Setup Advice

Sandy pmwiki at onebit.ca
Fri Mar 30 22:07:01 CDT 2007

the Other michael <xraysmalevich <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > My current setup (simplified) is:
> >
> > \pmwiki
> >    \wiki.d   --public wiki
> >    \local
> >    \pub
> > \personal wiki
> >    \wiki.d
> >    \local
> > \work1 wiki
> >    \wiki.d
> >    \local
> >
> > I access the 'farm' wikis (personal and work1) using redirected subdomains.
> >
> > 1] I'd like an easier way to backup the server, and a way to prevent the
> > wiki directories 'cluttering' the higher level directories.
> >
> > Currently I'd have to change the backup routines if I add another farm.
> > That's easy, but experience tells me that backups get forgotten, or
> > moved to 'get around to it' mode.
> >
> > Something like:
> > \pmwiki
> >    \farms
> >      \public
> >        \wiki.d   --public wiki
> >        \local
> >      \personal
> >        \wiki.d   --public wiki
> >        \local
> >      \work1
> >        \wiki.d   --public wiki
> >        \local
> >    \local
> >    \pub
> >

> > That would let me set the backups on \farms, and I'm set. Of course this
> > way  I'd still have to update the .htaccess if I added a farm, but I
> > figure that I'd have to do that anyway.
> >
> > Is this setup possible?
> >
> > 2] Is there any way to setup searching across selected farms? I'd like
> > to be able to search work and personal together, but keep public separate.

1] Yes, it is possible. I thought it was actually the default. Once upon a time
there was a page showing how to do several variations on that theme, complete
with CleanURLs using .htaccess. I got a few variations working over hour or two,
said, "Neat! Wow! That was easy!" then chose my favourite and forgot the rest.

Summary of the half-dozen instruction pages: An index.php wrapper script goes in
the top level of each field directory, e.g., public/index.php, just like before.
But, since things have moved relative to each other, the sample wrapper script
needs to be changed so that it still points to pmwiki.php. It is possible to
make the initial URLs even nicer using the CleanURLs recipe(s). Fair warning,
several things have to be changed all at the same time, and there are several
variations depending on security requirements.

2] I'm fairly sure that's not yet available. Been requested a few times, though.

Cheers!

Sandy