[pmwiki-users] Drafts, moderated wikis, and PITS 00755

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Fri Mar 30 22:17:03 CDT 2007

On 2007-03-30 Scott Connard is rumoured to have said:
> 2. Save and Edit is ambiguous and needs to be clarified.
>
> 3. In PITS 00755, "Pm's proposal ... modified to clarify labels"
> suggests a single "Save" label with different meanings for an
> original document vs a draft document.  I think that this is
> confusing.  I'd also rather always see "Save as Draft" even for
> untrusted authors.  Another issue to consider is that an entire wiki
> might NOT have $EnableDrafts turned on - it might only be used for
> specific groups and I think it is a good thing that the authors
> realize that they are saving a draft page that needs to be
> "published" by the moderator/publisher - using Save for everything
> doesn't lead them to expect the different behavior.

I have trouble with both of these points as well.

Although it makes sense to me to change the button labels depending on
the function, it is completely counterintuitive to have the same name
for different functions on the same wiki.

In particular, I would have *always* have [Publish] mean store
"Pagename" and [Save Draft] mean store "Pagename-Draft".

The "and edit" suffix is more problematic. The best I can come up with:
[Publish and Edit]  and [Save Draft and Edit]. A bit long, but unambiguous.

The only time [Save] (meaning store "Pagename") should be used is on a
wiki that does not have draft capablilty implemented.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/