[pmwiki-users] FW: [pmwiki-devel] Announce: pmwiki-social

J. Meijer commentgg at hotmail.com
Thu May 3 20:27:19 CDT 2007

________________________________
> On 5/3/07, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 05:36:54AM +0000, J. Meijer wrote:
> > I'd like to carry this thread forward, yet to make it full-blown
> > requires a major development effort, a project much like pmwiki
> > itself, with many aspects that go beyond just programming. Maybe my
> > cursed lifepath serves as a tool for that. I'd need much help and
> > bonds need to be in place to make sure that the value created will not
> > disintegrate with a simple exploit and take the development team with
> > it. Zapped.
> I find this post really confusing.  What is "this"? What are you talking
> about?  I'm sorry, I just can't follow what you are saying.

"This thread" about 'pmwiki-social' you mean, I find no other "this" in your quote.

> It is convoluted and confusing, and I'm left with a big "What the heck
> did he just say?"

"Social" can be as simple as a mailing-list, or as complex as a community support system. Which would be really innovative use of pmwiki and a project of (at least) the size of pmwiki.

> > Of course, those who want and come to pmwiki don't want to read about
> > these type of posts, initially if not forever. They have lost their
> > heads, they're mad. Soon they'll no longer have a product to sell.
> > That is Pm's concern. And he's right to be concerned.
> I really, really don't think that open source OR PmWiki are as doomed as
> you seem to think they are.

Not doomed. But there are users, the typical user in fact,  that just wants the facts about pmwiki, technical facts. A loony 'social' project in the middle will not be understood, hence 'mad'.

/jm