[pmwiki-users] FW: Installation Question: How to point web server topmwiki.php script on the server?

Karina texask at gmail.com
Sun May 6 17:44:53 CDT 2007

Peter K.H. Gragert <p.k.h.gragert <at> skyaccess.nl> writes:

> Hallo Karina,
> The file pmwiki.php should not be renamed.
> Rename it back with the help of an FTP-client (you used one to upload?!)
> Next you should copy the file sample-config.php out of the doc directory
> to the sibling directory local and rename it there to config.php.
> This file is the heart for an administrator!
> So download it and edit it with an ASCII editor (wordpad, vi, or ...)
> Read the comments and remove the #'s , which make a LINE to comment (in
> PHP).
> You should at least change the files
> $ScriptUrl = 'http://localhost/pmwikis/55plus_070503/pmwiki.php';
> $PubDirUrl = 'http://localhost/pmwikis/55plus_070503/pub';
> This is for my local tests, so you have to replace localhost/pmwikis (see
> YOUR config.php to understand by comparing!) to your website and
> place=directory, where pmwiki.php lives!
>
> Important are too such lines as
>
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('replacemebyyourpassword!');
> $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('passwordforediting');
>
> To undestand this , read the security info of the wiki!
>
> This line I love too:
> $EnablePathInfo = 1;
> This changes something like http://..../pmwiki.php?n=Main.Homepage
> Into http://..../pmwiki.php/Main/Homepage
>
> This should make you going!
> Bye

Thank you for your reply, I am still having a couple of problems, even tho I
have managed to move a snails pace further...:)
I really am not a techie person and my knowledge is very basic, so this stuff
always takes me a really long time. Thank you for your time.

-I renamed the file:"sample-config.php" to "config.php" and took it out of the
doc directory.  Do I bring it up to the root directory, (i.e. place the config
right next to my "pmwiki" file?  Or do I put it within the "pmwiki" file, next
to the "cookbook, docs, local, pub" etc. files?

-And then I went (uncommented out too)to the
$ScriptUrl &
$PubDirUrl sections

for $ScriptUrl:
tried: http://www.mydomain.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php  (didn't work)
tried: 'http://www.mydomain.com/pmwiki/55plus_070503/pmwiki.php'

same with the $PubDirURL, still no luck.

Do you know what I am doing wrong.  I wish I was a bit more savvy at these
things so I didn't have to ask such basic questions.  I apologize.

Best
Karina
p.s. (do I uncomment all the single "#" lines? as well?  Or just some of them?)

Also, I got a message I was top posting...How do I bottom post?  APOLOGIES for
all the questions.
Thanks
Karina