[pmwiki-users] Recipes and their updates [was: As we just talked about (:pagelist:) ...]

IchBin weconsultants at gmail.com
Sat May 19 22:00:33 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 10:45:33PM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
>> On Saturday 19 May 2007 21:55, IchBin wrote:
>>> Just wondering about recipes and their updates. Once a recipe has been
>>> updated ala emergency fix(s) or just a regular cycle are announcements
>>> written out to:
>>>
>>> gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.announce,
>>> gamin.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.devel or
>>> here in gamin.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user
>>>
>>> To new to know...
>
> Recipe authors are welcome to send announcements to pmwiki-announce.  That
> list is "moderated", so that messages wait for my approval before being
> sent out, but I'll generally approve the message as soon as I see it.
>
>> No, they are not, except for extremely big security problems. Most of the
>> recipe authors just humbly update the recipe's documentation or talk-page,
>> and it is better to have these on your watchlist, and check the recipe's
>> release notes.
>>
>> Personnally, I use a "watchlist" combined with a "notify" and recieve an email
>> about once a day if some of the pages in the watchlist were changed. See how
>> to set this for yourself at:
>>    http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WatchLists
>>    http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Notify
>
> There is also the RecipeCheck recipe, at
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RecipeCheck , which allows a site to
> quickly check the status of installed recipes and see if any updates
> are available.
>
> Pm

Thanks pm, I have and do used the RecipeCheck recipe since you split it
off of the analyze recipe for localhost use. And this "watchlist"  and
"notify" look interesting. Guess I am asking because I am from the Java
area hence the Java newsgroups. I use to live in those groups. I need to
get the feel for other newsgroups, etc... I guess.

This area is really laid back which is great. I do have concerns that
recipes docs do not get updated. Simple example I just ran into. The
Total counter recipe. I had posted problems with it sometime ago but no
on takers to help.

Their are three version mentioned in the docs (1.5, 1.8 and 1.8a) two of
which are available. I have been using v1.5 for a while. I realy wanted
to use 1.8a but at that time when I installed it I lost all of my prior
counts. That seems some what useless. So I walked away from it. Long
story short the person who updated to version 1.8a (or maybe from 1.5 to
1.8 who nows) did not document that they changed the total counter file
names where the totals where persisted. So naturally you still had the
totals but not in the newly derive files.

For the RecipeCheck this is what it gives me:

If I name it 'totalcounter.php' RecipeCheck gives me:

Recipe	    Cookbook:TotalCounter
local	    unknown (totalcounter.php)
pmwiki.org  1.8a - 21 January 2007

If I name it 'totalcounter_1_8a.php' it does not show up in the list of
RecipeCheck recipes....

Another recipe: DownloadManager

Recipe	    Cookbook:DownloadManager
local	    unknown (downloadman.php)
pmwiki.org  0.4 - 16.05.2007

I do have to say the other 10 recipes I use RecipeCheck'ed nicely.

--
Thanks in Advance...          http://weconsulting.org
IchBin, Philadelphia, Pa, USA http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com