[pmwiki-users] Hiding the edit button (:if auth admin:)

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Tue Sep 4 10:55:23 CDT 2007

Matt Strauser wrote:
> What is your advice some good ways to hide the "Edit" button on a site
> that is not being used for collaboration?
>
> I have been using (:if auth admin:) to hide buttons but at least one
> button has to be visible to prompt for the admin's or editor's password.
>
> The real question may be not how do you hide it, but how do you display
> it for the editor? or...
> How do you get the password prompt to come up?

Why do you HAVE to expose a button for login?  Can't someone just
add the privileged action to the URL line?

I mean, you can't have everything.  Either have a login button, or
use the URL line.  At work, I have a login button.  On my web
sites the extra buttons don't appear unless you are logged in...
and you have to enter a privileged action on the URL line
to get the login prompt (so they look more like a CMS managed site).