[pmwiki-users] Hiding the edit button (:if auth admin:)

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:01:36 CDT 2007

On 9/4/07, Chris Cox <ccox at airmail.net> wrote:
> Matt Strauser wrote:
> > What is your advice some good ways to hide the "Edit" button on a site
> > that is not being used for collaboration?
> >
> > I have been using (:if auth admin:) to hide buttons but at least one
> > button has to be visible to prompt for the admin's or editor's password.
> >
> > The real question may be not how do you hide it, but how do you display
> > it for the editor? or...
> > How do you get the password prompt to come up?
>
> Why do you HAVE to expose a button for login?  Can't someone just
> add the privileged action to the URL line?
>
> I mean, you can't have everything.  Either have a login button, or
> use the URL line.  At work, I have a login button.  On my web
> sites the extra buttons don't appear unless you are logged in...
> and you have to enter a privileged action on the URL line
> to get the login prompt (so they look more like a CMS managed site).

For client-sites, I use the very subtle login link at lower left
(which is replaced with a logout link once user has used a password),
since I don't want to have to remind them how to get logged in every
few weeks.  For some of my own, I do as Chris suggests, and don't have
even that, since I know how to append ?action=login (or simply
?action=edit) to the url.

There is a recipe, I think, that creates a link that appends
?action=edit if you double click it.  This would be another way to
conceal all the wiki-ness until one is logged in.