[pmwiki-users] Skin authors : Many PmWiki skins fail to validate

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Apr 7 07:34:31 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 05:55:10 Petko Yotov wrote:

> > > If another skin, e.g. the default one, produces valid HTML with the
> > > same page, then it is possible and the "given" skin should be fixed.
> >
> > Again, you seem to be simply ignoring the fact that a page AUTHOR can
> > cause validation to fail by using markup not in alignment with the skin
> > doctype. So again, we'd have to define all skins to use non-strict -- I
> > have no idea what benefit that buys us.
>
> Can a skin AUTHOR write on pmwiki.org "Skin now validates strict XHTML"[1]
> but the page he wrote does not actually validate?[2]  If the skin author
> cannot create valid markup in a page he wrote himself, could we safely
> assume that all other wiki users will be able to do it?

Same constatation for other three notable skins:
  "Fully CSS driven, is valid XHTML, for those that care about such things."
  [3], [4] and [5]
but the pages created by the skin author himself all three fail to validate.
[6], [7] and [8].

I would NEVER call that praetentious[9], incompetent or even "ridiculous" :-D.
Whatever it is, if those and other skins could be corrected, I feel they
should be.

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Skittlish
[2] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Skittlish-Talk
[3] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blix
[4] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DropShadow
[5] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Marinee
[6] http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Blix
[7]
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DropShadow
[8]
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/DropShadow
[9] Marked by an unwarranted claim to importance or distinction. Ostentatious;
intended to impress others. [http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pretentious]