[pmwiki-users] Skin authors : Many PmWiki skins fail to validate

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Apr 9 21:18:48 CDT 2009

> In that case (same page validates with another skin) the skin uses a wrong
> DOCTYPE. And could be fixed by using another DOCTYPE.

> Again, the *skin* might specify the use of XHTML Strict, but page
> authors may choose to use whatever markup they wish -- valid XHTMLStrict
> or otherwise. A skin cannot control that. The implication of what you're
> saying is that all skins must then be defined using non-strict.

This point should be made on the wiki, where it gives advice to new skin
designers. Those who want their skins to validate will also want the end
product (site plus skin) to validate, and this may help them trouble-shoot.

I'm of two minds about the next idea: Divide skins into two groups.

Skins that follow the PmWiki guidelines, and validate with most markups.
We get a lot of questions about how to hide the header/footer, or change
other parts of the skin. The normal advice should work for the skins in
the group. These skins are actively maintained. Good skins for new users.

Skins that don't. That would include mine. I followed the instructions
and examples as best I could, and learned a lot, but I hardcoded a lot
of the options rather than leaving them optional. They meet my needs.
I'm on to other adventures. Leaving this type of skin keeps the bar for
new users low. You can have a skin that does the job well enough without
learning all the ins and outs.

Sandy