[pmwiki-users] Skin authors : Many PmWiki skins fail to validate

Audun Myhra Bergwitz bergwitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 19:21:17 CDT 2009

Sandy skrev:
> I'm of two minds about the next idea: Divide skins into two groups.
>
> Skins that follow the PmWiki guidelines, and validate with most
> markups. We get a lot of questions about how to hide the
> header/footer, or change other parts of the skin. The normal advice
> should work for the skins in the group. These skins are actively
> maintained. Good skins for new users.
>
> Skins that don't. That would include mine. I followed the
> instructions and examples as best I could, and learned a lot, but I
> hardcoded a lot of the options rather than leaving them optional.
> They meet my needs. I'm on to other adventures. Leaving this type of
> skin keeps the bar for new users low. You can have a skin that does
> the job well enough without learning all the ins and outs.

I think this is a great idea. I remember being very confused when
certain markups, like (:noleft:), didn't work as expected due to the
skin. It might not be necessary to divide into two groups, a simple note
on skin pages with "verified to follow PmWiki guidelines" should be
enough. (If necessary one could get a pagelist of only verified skins).

A group of "non-verified skins" may put off new users from skins they
otherwise think looks good, but one should be able to tell nonetheless.

audun