[pmwiki-users] Controlling access to attachments on publicly-readable page

Karl Schilke schilkek at onid.orst.edu
Tue Apr 21 12:28:25 CDT 2009

Is there a simple way to provide a page that is world-readable (i.e.
no 'read' password), but requires authentication to download
attachments on this page?

I've looked at Cookbook/SecureAttachments and other references, but I
wasn't able to find an answer to this problem.

The reason I ask: We have an archive of key papers related to our
research, which I'd like to make world-readable as a service to the
scientific community. The journal copyright restrictions require that
only people associated with our lab are allowed to download the papers
themselves, but the bibliographic information and our summaries are
fair game.

I have handled this on static pages with .htaccess (allow
*.oregonstate.edu), but we are running with $EnableDirectDownloads =
0. With direct downloads disabled, it's not clear to me how to do
this. No doubt I'm not the first (or last) to wonder about this.

Thanks!

     -Karl Schilke, Oregon State University

--
"Every complex problem has a solution that is simple, direct,
plausible and wrong." -H.L. Mencken