[pmwiki-users] Re-thinking Intro to markup pages

john.rankin at affinity.co.nz john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Feb 13 03:06:00 CST 2009

> please don't quote distorting. If you quote "therefore", you should
> also quote what I refered to (granularity of Creole docs), especially
> since your posting method doesn't support threading.

It was not my intention to distort the post. I wished to support the
post's conclusion, and did not see a need to repeat the reasoning.
I am sorry that this has been interpreted as distorting the original.

>>A case can also be made that this and other "core markup" pages
>>should use *only* functionality defined in Creole. All markup on
>>the page should be an illustration of a Creole function. This is a
>>radical suggestion; it means (:markup:) ... (:markupend:) is not
>>allowed on core markup documentation pages.
>
> What is the benefit?

For me it's a matter of consistency. If one is going to describe a
set of core markup, then I think one should describe the core
markup using only the core markup, so somebody viewing the
page source sees only what the page describes.

Then when one moves to other pages to introduce additional
markup, one can introduce the benefits of the new markup.

>>>Likely a good (efficient) start will be to sort and update the
>>>contents of BasicEditing and TextFormattingRules.

>>... I am not sure whether
>>we need both TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing to cover just
>>the Creole functionality.
>
> What should be the difference between BasicEditing and
> TextFormattingRules if both cover the same subset?

This is why I question the need for both when describing just
the Creole functionality. In my view, the functionality being
described is sufficiently small that it could be covered fully on
a single page. If more detailed examples are required, my
preference would be to place these on separate pages with
links from the core markup page, rather than creating 2
independent pages.

A different approach may be appropriate when expanding
beyond the Creole functionality set.

>>Let us create
>>  PmWikiCreole.TextFormattingRules,
>>  maybe PmWikiCreole.BasicEditing,
>>  and perhaps PmWikiCreole.EditQuickReference
>
> well, do so and I might understand better.

I will not respond to any more posts until I have done one
of these. This will take a day or two.

>>using "the Creole functionality, the whole Creole functionality,
>>and nothing but the Creole functionality" in the order shown on
>>http://www.wikicreole.org/wiki/AllMarkup.
>
> this page is a bad example. It lacks two elements (as I already
> wrote).

And as I already agreed. The above states "in the order shown" --
I am saying the pmwiki pages should use the same markup *order*
as on that page (ordered lists, unordered lists, bold, italics,
headings, etc). That's all.

Forgive me, Oliver, but I do not understand why it feels as if
you are arguing with me, when I keep agreeing with you.

JR