[pmwiki-users] Security breach?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Sun Jan 4 16:46:41 CST 2009

PKHG wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Using an FTP-client for changing protection codes, I do not have the
> possibility to set the guid bit (I mean chmod 2777) ?!
>
> And (my) ftp direct does not have a chmod at all?
>
> So that ‘trick’ is not possible for everybody?
>
> Greetings
>
>           Peter

FireFTP (a FireFox extension) awill do it. Right click on the folder and
select Properties. If it's a folder, Properties Incl Contents.

It lets you set the numerical code (755), and also lets you set each bit
individually. (Full disclosure: I haven't done it with this program, and
  when I tried it just now it said I didn't have permission. I changed
home machines, and may not have entered all the passwords yet.)

I originally did it with SmartFTP, which worked great, but isn't on my
current machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod begins with chmod basics, where the
permisions are described with a long string of letters, and then gives a
link to the Octal Notation method, where each group of letters is
condensed to one numeral.

Sandy