[pmwiki-users] Automatic generation of image height / width?

Russ pmwiki at russhosting.com
Mon Jan 5 02:47:13 CST 2009

I have a project that outputs one particularly large HTML page (250k +),
which is being generated in an average 0.4 seconds but takes 10-12
seconds under moderate server load to display.  To compound the
"download speed" issue, there are dozens of small images (logos) that
must download first before the page renders in the browser.  So, the
visitor ends up staring at a blank screen for quite some time!

I'm dealing with the hosting company to see if they can install an
output compression library to cut that download speed considerably, but
I'm also looking for a way to read and automatically include the width
and height of the logos and other images in the IMG tags, to display the
text of the page to the visitor sooner.

I believe there was a discussion some time ago about automatically
generating the image height/width, and some of the considerations
(availability of image processing libraries, overriding the default size
with wikistyles, etc.) would be resolved by making it a recipe.  All of
the images are either .JPG or .GIF, and are located in the default
/uploads directory.

    * Original discussion from PmWiki mailing list:
      http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/36550/focus=36554
    * PHP function using getimagesize() referenced in the 2006
      discussion: http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/get-image-size.html
    * Another discussion about capturing image properties in PHP:
      http://www.webmasterworld.com/php/3060722.htm

Any advice on how to proceed, or if someone is willing to take the
project on, please let me know.  If someone is willing to write a quick
recipe, there would be a small payment available either to the developer
or to the PmWiki project at your discretion.

Regards,

Russ Jackman