[pmwiki-users] Fixing the documentation

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Jul 13 13:10:01 CDT 2009

DaveG wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:37:21 +0100, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
>

>     Seriously - read the original question again.  We are nearly,
>     nearly there already.  Lets just finish what is already started.
>     I'm not asking to go in a different direction - this is already
>     the direction the docs are going in
>
>     Consider that:
>     - PmWiki has changed the default to not space wiki links.
>     - Therefore it becomes significant if we write "Wiki Style" or
>     "WikiStyle" since they will appear differently now (previously
>     with auto spacing they would appear the same).
>     - Nearly everywhere the trend has been to add a space, eg "Wiki
>     style" or "Wiki Style".
>     - However, I sense that there is some strong feeling that there
>     are still a few "proper nouns" which should be left unspaced, eg
>     "PmWiki" appears to be one which is declared should be left
>     unspaced?  Are there any others, eg I can see a case for
>     "WikiStyle" or "WikiTrail" being used as a "proper noun" and being
>     left unspaced deliberately?  If so then I propose that we should
>     reverse the documentation wording for those links and use the non
>     spaced version consistently?
>

> Unless I'm misunderstanding what I see Ed requesting is some help in
> identifying areas of the documentation where the more complex forms of
> linking are used so we can simplify them. This will allow local
> changes to the link patterns, without causing issues with links in the
> core PmWiki documentation (except in extreme cases).

Forget about the link patterns - he was offering to help fixup a bunch
of documentation and improve it's quality.  The side benefit to him was
that the link pattern changing becomes possible, but the benefit to
PmWiki is that they get their master documentation improved!

I have pretty much had enough of this stupid digging in of heels though
- if you are chasing away someone offering to improve the docs then this
project really is going to slow down...

Byee

Ed W