[pmwiki-users] comment spam and blogs

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Fri May 1 10:29:24 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Maria McKinley <parody at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone tried incorporating this with using  authuser so you can use ldap
>> for most editing, but the public password for comments?
>
> This is exactly the setup I am trying to achieve on one of my wikis...
> ideally editing in the comments group wouldn't ask for a username at
> all.

I've put a new configuration alternative in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/OpenPass to allow for this.  I am
assuming that changing the site-wide edit password and changing back
and forth between authuser and simple-password authentication based on
conditionals in config.php is legitimate.  In my brief testing so far
I haven't seen any problems...

The new installation configuration allows for authuser on non-open
groups and simple, passwd-only authentication on open groups
(presumably for commenting purposes).  If someone wanted simple passwd
auth all the time or authuser all the time or other alternatives it's
just a question of moving those lines out of the conditionals...  If
there's some common configuration that would be better to have as a
straight copy/paste let me know (or just put it in yourself).

-Peter