[pmwiki-users] Display PDF

adam overton a at plus1plus1plus.org
Sat Jan 23 05:44:32 CST 2010

hi

i had always wondered about this too, but didn't realize embedding
pdfs was so simple. this will prove very useful for one of my sites
(a pdf-storage site)

i went ahead and made a recipe wrapper for using the GoogleViewer
(which supports PDFs, PowerPoints, and TIFF files):
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GoogleViewer

i had trouble with peter's ViewPDF recipe b/c it requires the
installation of the Adobe PDF plugin - and my Safari browser is
seemingly allergic to it (it never loads!!), and my firefox browser
is using a non-Adobe PDF Plugin. i'll have to get this sorted out to
see if this is any better than the GoogleViewer option, which luckily
doesn't require any plugin.

one caveat - i'm not that familiar with other pdf-viewing services,
but while the GoogleViewer loads pretty well, it seems like certain
fonts look awfully yucky, and it severely compresses and dithers the
images to the point of looking like they're out of the late 90s -
another big yuck.

but it works!
adam